Bramhall 1st XI vs Timperley – Cheshire Cup Quarter Final – 23/07/17

Andrew Reynolds Senior Match Reports

Bramhall 1st XI’s second game of the weekend was at home to Timperley on Sunday, in the Quarter Final of the 45 over Cheshire Cup.
The Beavers won the toss and decided to bat on a slow pitch that showed some effects of persistent overnight rain. The visitors’ opening bowlers made life tricky for the Bramhall openers, with appreciable seam movement resulting in regular plays and misses. The score reached 24 before Wilde top-edged a pull to square leg, and it didn’t get much better for the hosts from this moment on.
Another 25 runs were added for the 2nd wicket before Patel was caught behind for 26, and the 3rd wicket partnership yielded a similar total before the score slipped to 74-3 and began a run of eight wickets falling for a paltry 36 runs. The wicket wasn’t making scoring easy, but there was a distinct lack of application that resulted in a number of poorly-thought out shots. That almost every dismissal in the 32 over innings fell to an attacking stroke says it all.

After the tea break, Bramhall still knew that the match wasn’t a done deal – particularly as there was a marginally higher total on the scoreboard than they had defended eight days earlier against the same opposition. But the early breakthrough didn’t materialise, despite a probing spell from seamer Matt Higginbottom. The Timperley openers began to adjust to the wicket and runs became a little steadier after the 50 run opening stand was reached. Young left arm spinner Matt Madeira showed admirable control in his 6 over spell, but the Beavers were unable to force a mistake as Timperley strolled to a 10 wicket victory inside 18 overs.
Despite not having a first choice side out, Bramhall’s abysmal showing was still well below the standards expected from the eleven who took the field. The Beavers are now left to concentrate on the league, with a trip to leaders Chester Boughton Hall in the diary for next Saturday.